Dorset County Museum Digital Proposal
It’s been a busy few weeks in the Key Multimedia office, with a round of presentations at the BH&HPA National Conference in Birmingham and several pitches for new clients.
We thought we would share our ideas for one of our latest potential projects. The Dorset County Museum in our hometown of Dorchester recently published a request for tender to upgrade their current website. We were fortunate to be shortlisted to present our proposal.
These are exciting times for the Museum as it embarks on a £13m redevelopment after successfully securing a lottery grant. The Museum team are keen to break down the idea that it is a small town museum, and the website is one tool they can use to start doing this.
Alongside the fantastic redevelopment opportunities the Museum is also in line to showcase the first “Dippy on Tour” exhibition – The National History Museum’s very own Diplodocus dinosaur that normally stands in the atrium of the NHM is going on a tour of the UK – and the first stop is Dorchester and the Jurassic Coast.
The Dorset County Museum tender is looking to introduce a more dynamic look and colour scheme to the new site, and ensure it gives a nod to their modernisation project and an idea of what the Museum may be like post 2020.
Take a look at our proposal for unlocking the potential of the Dorset County Museum.
Deliver a modern and new look website, whilst providing a great user experience; driving visitors to the Museum, encouraging ticket and event sales.
- Completely bespoke solution – with design and development to meet the Museum’s functional specification.
- Fully responsive and optimised for a full range of desktop and mobile devices.
- Designed for user engagement and driving ticket sales & event bookings.
- Fully supported with the transition to new site.
- Reporting & statistics.
- Key Multimedia TLC on-going support package and security updates
- Shopping cart supporting merchandising and sales material.
- Blog – migrate existing content, encourage more contributions from local experts and the public, improve shareability.
- Email newsletter – personalised communications to improve engagement
- Media section – press packs, society and team profiles, images, video, statistics
- SEO-friendly, rich snippets, optimised for search visibility.
- Additional functionality – can be added retrospectively to the website if required e.g. integration of the Fossil Finder database development we carried out for the Jurassic Coast.
Events & Ticketing
Our proposal included a full event management and ticketing system that allows the Museum to concentrate on driving sales through their numerous events. A bespoke Shopping cart was also included to support merchandising.
- Multiple event categories
- Display filtered events
- Rich snippet XML markup
- Manage attendees
- Multiple ticket types
- Adult vs Child pricing
- Weekend vs Weekday pricing
- Set availability dates / set attendee limits
- Booking calendar view
- Set mandatory data required
- Bar code integration for bookings
Creating Tomorrow’s Museum
Following on from the Museum’s desire to “Create Tomorrow’s Museum“, our proposal also suggested a number of opportunities for the Museum to consider for the future including:- developing a digital strategy for roll out of supporting online marketing, SEO and social media, interactive digital displays for exhibitions and virtual reality for the forthcoming Dippy on Tour.
Try this amazing VR demonstration of a Giraffatitan dinosaur with a VR headset!
Got a project in mind?
Drop us an email and we’ll show you how we can also help you to unlock your online potential.
Strategy and imagery copyright Key Multimedia 2017.Posted in: Blog, General on Sunday, February 19th, 2017 by David Lakins, Managing Director & Head Honcho